How to make PURAN POLI
Saturday, 31 August, 2019
Hello guys and we are back with another Ganesh Chaturthi special recipe- Puran Poli. In Telangana and Andhra Pradesh, it is known as Bobbatlu. A pretty popular sweet dish in the southern and western India, puran polis are basically sweet stuffed rotis! Delicious, aren’t they? So, let's not make you guys wait any further and begin with the instructions!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ cup chana dal
- 1 ½ cup sugar or jaggery
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- Cardamom powder
- Saffron mix
- Oil or ghee for frying
- First, we will start by cooking the chana dal in a pressure cooker until it turns soft.
- Drain the water and add the cooked dal to a pan. Add sugar or jaggery, and mix well. You may need to add a bit of water at the initial stages to mix. But do not pour too much so as to turn it into liquid.
- Add a pinch of cardamom powder and saffron mix.
- Keep stirring until the mixture acquires a stiff consistency. Set it aside to cool.
- Now, let’s prepare the dough. Knead the dough using four, a pinch of salt and water.
- Divide the dough into small balls and set it aside. Take the sweetened dal mix and roll out small balls for the stuffing (puran).
- Now, take one dough ball and flatten it in your palms. Add one stuffing ball in the center and seal the dough over it by pinching its edges.
- You will have to dust a bit of flour and roll this ball to a medium roti-size.
- Now, fry it in a pan with a little oil (like how we fry parathas).
- Your puran polis are ready to serve!