How to make MODAK
Thursday, 29 August, 2019
Hi everyone! With Ganesh Chaturthi just around the corner, MAPPRR brings you an easy recipe to make the famed delicacy- modaks! Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated widely across the country. With so many different cultures and regions coming together to participate in this occasion, it’s a medley of sweets and savories that anyone would love to enjoy! One of the most simple yet insanely delicious dishes of this festival is the modak. These sweet dumplings, filled with a mouthwatering mixture of jaggery and shredded coconut, are bound to be a favorite of many.
So, let’s get started!
Ingredients (8 servings):
- 4 cups of rice flour
- 4-5 cups of shredded coconut
- 4 cups of jaggery
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2-3 teaspoons of ghee or oil
- Cardamom powder
- First, let's make the sweet stuffing for the modak. Heat a pan and add the shredded coconut. Stir lightly and wait till the mixture is slightly toasted. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, boil some water (1-2 cups depending on serve size) and add the jaggery. Stir until mixture thickens and then add the toasted coconut.
- Keep mixing the coconut with the jaggery on a medium-high flame. Add a pinch of cardamom powder and stir well. Once everything is mixed well, keep the stuffing aside.
- Now let’s move on to the dough. Take a bowl and add the rice flour. Make sure to sieve the flour before using it.
- Add ghee or oil and a tablespoon of salt. Mix well and make sure that there are no lumps.
- Add some water to knead the dough. The dough should be even and soft. It shouldn’t dry out.
- Now, divide the dough into small dollops. Rub oil or ghee on your palms to avoid making the dough stick to you. You can use a rolling pin to flatten out and make the dollops into a cup shape.
- At the very center of the dough-cup, add a spoonful of the stuffing and close the edges.
- With the help of a idli maker or a rice cooker, you can steam the dumplings. And voila! Modaks are ready to serve. Extra tip: You can garnish with some dry fruits or even a pinch of saffron.